How are you using this code/tool and is it helpful?

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM
I'd like to get some feedback on how this code/tool is used. If its saving you time figuring out EAS traffic then please let me know much time you think its saving. If you have any issues then also please let me know.
Jul 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM
I find this very useful while troubleshooting AS accounts when there is no way to get logs from AS server.

The only issue I found for now it returns a Popup dialog when open SendMail request to Lotus Traveler.

Error calling DecodeWBXML

Queue empty

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM
One of my company's products is a reverse proxy for ActiveSync traffic, and I do a lot of ActiveSync troubleshooting. I love this utility as well as EAS Tester. I've always struggled to get Fiddler to properly encode the wbxml payload, though. I do this for educational purposes and learning more about the Protocol. I can't seem to find a way to build out either the xml or the wbxml in a way that fiddler can send it to send the request. Is there any way to do it with this inspector, or could it be added so you can build a request from scratch (and view a response)?
Oct 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I used it with Traveler (IBM Domino ActiveSync server). Just edited a reply from client in a composer and re-sent to the server. It worked for me.
Oct 2, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Here's the funny thing. I can edit or copy an existing request. I can't create a new one from scratch.

Let's say I want to add
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<FolderSync xmlns="FolderHierarchy:">
<SyncKey>0</SyncKey>
</FolderSync>

(I do this because it's a quick and dirty way to be able to associate folderids with their actual name, useful for my troubleshooting).

I convert it to:

03 01 6A 00 00 07 56 52 03 30 00 01 01

But when I send it as a payload, it adds two extra bytes to it (Content-Length should be 13, it comes out to 15).

I can modify any request I've already seen go through Fiddler. Just can't create new ones.

A site that I used to learn ActiveSync,
http://mobilitydojo.net/2010/03/17/digging-into-the-exchange-activesync-protocol/

talks about this issue as well with Fiddler.
Coordinator
Nov 7, 2014 at 5:35 PM
The inspector cannot send an EAS request at this time. EasTester should be used to send requests. Unlike a lot of http traffic EAS traffic is done often in series and relies on information of past results - you cannot just jump in most of the time and do an EAS call. An example of this is when syncing items where and where you need a sync key - that key changes with every request and MUST be maintained by the device - if you jump in on the traffic of a third party device and use any calls where a sync key is involved you can mess up the syncing for that device and need to do a full resync of that device. I copy EAS calls from fiddler logged traffic to use with EAS Tester.
Coordinator
Nov 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM
For the DecodeWBXML issue... it sounds like something is wrong with the EAS traffic. See if you get an error with another device. See if the EAS logs from Exchange show any errors.
Nov 7, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Appreciate the tool, I use it on almost a daily basis. You're right about not being able to jump in mid-conversation, but at least being able to send this would be quite useful:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<FolderSync xmlns="FolderHierarchy:">
<SyncKey>0</SyncKey>
</FolderSync>

I have to deal with large mailboxes and I have collection IDs and it's rare that I capture a folder listing in my logs, so being able to do a quick and dirty command that just provides the folder list would be very useful.